My impressions of Elizabeth Barrett Browning: After reading the biography on Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I had the sense that she was a woman greatly affected by the tragedies and wonders in her life. For example her mother's death, her father's fearful characteristics and her marriage to her adoring husband. Her deep emotions, portrayed through her poetry, came from the core of her being. It seems as though she focuses on important issues, in particular the female role in society. Lastly, I am most impressed with how "intune" Elizabeth seemed to be with herself and how she was feeling at every precise moment in her life.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning was born onMarch 6, 1806 in Durham , England and died June 29, 1861 in Florence Italy . Elizabeth is best known for her love poems, particularly Sonnets from the Portuguese and Aurora Leigh. Some poets nowadays consider Elizabeth to have a feminist persuasion in her poetry.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning was born on
Her family moved to London in 1838 and lived at 50 Wimpole Street. In London she was published in periodicals and came out with her first collection called The Seraphim and Other Poems in 1838.
Later, Elizabeth ’s mother, Edward Barrett Moulton, drowned herself to death causing Elizabeth to be intimidated to interact with anyone outside of her small group of friends. Although Elizabeth was hesitant to talk to the outside world, her name was well recognized throughout the literary community.
In January 1845 Elizabeth received a note from the poet Robert Browning: “I love your versus with all my heart, dear Miss Barrett. I do, as I say, love these books with all my heart—and I love you too”. The two married on September 12, 1846 . Elizabeth ’s father, however, knew nothing of the courtship or wedding. Elizabeth stayed and lived at home for a week after the marriage was final due to fear of her father. She published Sonnets from the Portuguese in 1850, poems on her reluctance to marry. They settled in Florence where Elizabeth gave birth to her only child, Robert Wiedemann Barrett, in 1849.
Some helpful links:
http://www.biography.com/people/elizabeth-barrett-browning-9228932
http://poetry.org/browning.htm
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/ebb/index.html
http://www.cswnet.com/~erin/ebbpoem.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment