June-rose, by May-dew impearled; Sweet south-wind, that means no rain; Truth, not cruel to a friend; Pleasure, not in haste to end; Beauty, not self-decked and curled Till its pride is over-plain; Love, when, so, you're loved again. What's the best thing in the world? --Something out of it, I think.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In this poem, much like the previous, Elizabeth Barrett Browning uses nature to prove her point. I believe that Elizabeth is asking a rhetorical question: what is the best thing in the world? and her answer to that question is pure love reciprocated; knowing that the person you love loves you back with the same passion. I really like this poem because it is different from her other poems, in the lightness and "on the cloud" feeling. If someone is able to have the feeling of pure love by another then they are able to also notice and love the rose and dew in nature.*hyperbole: A figure of speech involving exaggeration. John Donne uses hyperbole in his poem: "Song: Go and Catch a Falling Star."*personification: The endowment of inanimate objects or abstract concepts with animate or living qualities. An example: "The yellow leaves flaunted their color gaily in the breeze." Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud" includes personification. For example in this poem: "June-rose, by May-dew impearled" and "Pleasure, not in haste to end; Beauty, not self-decked and curled"*alliteration: The repetition of consonant sounds, especially at the beginning of words. Example: "Fetched fresh, as I suppose, off some sweet wood." Hopkins, "In the Valley of the Elwy." For example in this poem: "Sweet south-wind, that means no rain"
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
The Best Thing in the World
What's the best thing in the world?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment